Saturday, May 16, 2009

XXX. Trust, Surrender, Expansion and Health

Owing in part to the salubrious effects of the dry climate in the region and the serendipitous “discovery” that combining Ayurveda, Chinese Traditional Medicine (mainly acupressure, although that also exists in Ayurveda), and Naturopathy produces excellent responses in people with a variety of chronic conditions, the Kutch is now home to five “nature cure centres,” including Ananddhan.


Although the Cancer Prevention and Control Program does not function as a spa, we share the view that people have the capacity to prevent or to alter the course of most chronic health conditions, including potentially fatal diseases such as cancer. Healthful changes in diet and physical activity have central importance in our work and these also figure prominently in Eastern traditional medical systems (and Naturopathy). Of course, spending more time diversifying ones diet and becoming more physically active requires that one also learn to give up toxic, unhealthful things that may be comfortable in their familiarity. This requires that people want to change; which, in turn, entails that they trust that the changes they will make will improve their health. They need to surrender to a “master” whom they acknowledge has special knowledge and whom they believe has their best interests at heart.


Beyond the knowledge we hold, I think that it is important that such teachers impart the belief that by embracing the idea and committing to a path of fundamental change a new world of experience will expand on what had preceded it. I think that many people who will not make changes to improve their health (and I mean this expansively to include psychological and spiritual health) believe that what we might recommend represents deprivation or constriction – a net loss in their lives. As with any form of education, we teach people that in order to make healthful changes they become more mentally active in their pursuit of better health! With the increase in awareness it is inevitable that when they meet with success, their world expands.


Most of my time during this sabbatical has been spent in urban India. My work days have typically been 14 to 16 hours long; waking up very early to catch the tail end of the work day in North America, working through the entire Indian work day, and then working until past noon EDST (about 10:00PM Indian Standard Time) to participate in conference calls, etc., at the beginning of the day back in the U.S. I am good at my work and am a bit of a workaholic; so, this comes almost too easily to me. The facilities at both ACTREC and Healis are superb; so, that also enables me to work full-speed. Fortunately, I have learned that it is not altogether helpful (or healthful!) and I sometimes just need to stop. So, when my friend, Neena, who is a genetics counselor at TMH and lives upstairs from me in the ACTREC campus, suggested that I visit a nature cure centre in the Kutch, I took her suggestion very seriously. Having embarked on similar adventures in the past, I knew that it was important to commit before my natural tendency to resist change and stick with the familiar took hold.


Soon after arriving in India I had weaned myself from coffee but got a bit addicted to morning tea. Since coming here, I have had to give up caffeine in any form. After the first day at Ananddhan the headache disappeared. I have had to surrender to Dr. Joshi, who plans the program (but is very flexible with regard to my wish to experience everything on their “menu”); Tulsi and Giriraj, who do the warm packs; Tiwali, who is in charge of massage and acupressure (and is seen working on Dr. Joshi, who has surrendered!); and Manju, who runs the kitchen. My diet consists mainly of fruits, sprouts, and other vegetables. I am the only non-Indian here, and virtually the entire program is in Gujarati (though virtually everyone speaks Hindi and a little English). I do not always know what is going on, but people are patient and very good natured. I think that this is another important element of health. Whatever we do really should be done with a joyous, open and trusting heart. At my last meal at Dr. Prakash & Alka Gupta’s house before coming here I thanked them for dinner and mentioned that a special ingredient was love. Rather than being taken aback, Prakash simply agreed wholeheartedly.


Since coming here I tried just about every treatment available. It makes for about an 8-hour day, plus some really nice side trips. It is good for me to be on the receiving end of these things – as I think is true of anyone whose practice consists partly of preaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment